Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

FY 2014-2015 Classified Staff Compensation and Performance Management FAQ

This information is also available in Spanish.

1. How will classified compensation increases work this year?
This will be similar to last year. Classified staff are eligible for a 2.5% Cost of Living (COLA) (also referred to as Across-the-Board /ATB) and a performance based merit increase (shown in the chart below).
2. Will all classified employees receive the 2.5% COLA/ATB?
All active classified employees who are employed by the University prior to July 1, 2014 will receive the COLA/ATB increase, regardless of performance rating. However, if an employee’s salary is at range maximum, the COLA/ATB increase will be a non-base building, one-time payment.
3. Will all classified employees also receive a merit (a performance based) increase?
Classified staff who were hired before April 1, 2014 and received a performance rating of Level 2 or 3 for the 2013-2014 performance management cycle, will receive a merit increase. The amount of the merit increase is based on the chart below.
4. How much will my merit increase be?
Merit pay is based on an employee’s performance rating and placement within the salary range (see chart below). If an employee’s salary falls within the fourth quartile, the merit increase will not be base building and will be paid as a one-time lump sum payment in the July 31, 2014 paycheck.
Performance Matrix % Increase for FY 2014-2015 Merit Pay
Range Minimum
Range Maximum
2013-14 Performance Rating
Level 3
Level 2
Level 1
Base building increase
Non-base building, one-time payment
If the employee has not been employed during the full performance year (4/1/2013-3/31/2014), the merit percentage will be prorated based on the number of months employed. Working one day in a month equals one month of service.
5. How do I know which quartile I am in?
Compensation Plans (salary ranges) list salary ranges divided into the 4 quartiles for each classification and are available on the Department of Personnel and Administration website:  Use the 2013-14 Compensation Plan to identify your quartile.
6. Will my merit increase be prorated if I did not work for the University during the entire performance management cycle (4/1/13–3/31/14)?
Yes. The merit increase will be prorated based on the number of months you worked during the performance cycle. This proration does not apply to the COLA/ATB increase.
7. How will my new salary be calculated?
The COLA/ATB increase will be added to your current base salary and then your merit increase will be added to that new amount.
8. Will any of the classified salary ranges change (i.e. will some minimums increase and/or some maximums decrease)?
Yes. The range maximum for all pay ranges will increase by 2.5%.
Compensation Plans are listed here: 
9. What if my new salary, which includes the COLA/ATB and merit increase, is above the proposed 2014-2015 range maximum?
Your salary will not immediately be reduced. You will be placed in saved pay status for three (3) years. After three years, if your salary is still above the range maximum, it will be lowered to the new range maximum.
10. If I converted to a University Staff (Officer and Exempt Professional) position during the classified performance management cycle, am I eligible for any classified compensation increase?
11. I am in a classified position but received a promotion after the performance cycle. Am I still eligible for a merit increase?
Yes. You are eligible for the merit increase regardless of whether you were promoted or transferred from one department to another as long as you are in a classified position and received a final overall performance rating of 2 or 3 for the 2013-2014 plan year. Your quartile will be based on your June 1, 2014 monthly salary.
12. What if I didn’t receive a performance evaluation for the 2013-2014plan year?
All classified employees hired on or before March 31, 2014 are required to receive a performance evaluation. If you have not received an evaluation by May 1, 2014, please contact the Office of Labor Relations at 303-492-0956.
13. If I have additional questions about my new compensation, who should I call?
Please call Employment Services at 303-492-6475.